The Rise of the Russian Empire: Russo-Armenian Relations

English board for english discussions.

Moderator: Supermod

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:57 am

I would like to dedicate this thread to the rise of Russian power and Russo-Armenian relations.

Interestingly, China, India and Iran have also begun to play vital roles within the short and long-term strategic formulations of Moscow, as well as that of Yerevan. Are we observing the development of a unique geopolitical alliance between Russia, Iran, India, Armenia and China? Perhaps, only time will tell. Nonetheless, although there are some 'sociological' issues to be resolved, Russo-Armenian relations seem to be developing quite well.

I believe we need to look at the big picture. The rise of a new Russian empire is absolutely essential in that it is the only foreseeable geopolitical force that can play a fundamental role in curbing the spread of pan-Turkism, Zionism, Sunni fundamentalism and the American Empire. A powerful Russia is also indirectly essential for the long term safety of nations such as Serbia, Armenia and Iran. We need a powerful Russia acting as a counter balance to the combined geopolitical weight of America and its regional allies - England, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan.

* Նշում:

ՈՒզումեմ այս կարեւոր նյութը Քաղաքական, Րազմավարական և Տնտեսական դաշտերի մեջ պահել: Հետեւաբար խնդրումեմ, այս էջերի շարանի մէջ Ռուսաստանի «սափրագլուխների» կամ այլ ոճրագործների նյութը չբերենք:

Կանխայայտ Շնորհակալութիւններ

The Inevitability And Necessity Of Armenia's Alliance With Russia

There should be no limits to a true friendship. In getting closer to Russia, Armenia does not need to worry about loosing its independence. Moscow is not seeking to incorporate Armenia into its federation. All the indicators suggest that Moscow merely wants to firmly hold Armenia within its political orbit at all costs, even if it means it has to twist a few arms and break a few heads to do so. Taking into serious consideration the volatility of the current geopolitical order in the world today and the overt aggressions emanating from western lead forces, I fully support what Moscow is doing within its zones of influence. Although Moscow is obviously concerned about their national interests, their actions are, nevertheless, having positive repercussions for the Armenian Republic.

The Armenian Republic today has political clout internationally and it is untouchable by foreign forces primarily because of its close multilateral alliance with Russia and to a lesser extent, Iran. However, I would like to also address the following concern regarding Armenia's independence. Let's suppose in the future there is another major calamity in the region and Armenia has an option to join the Russian Federation for its survival - I say, why not? In final analysis, in the Caucasus, it's all about survival. In a worst case scenario, I rather have Armenia survive within the Russian Federation as a autonomous region than "survive" as an Iranian, Azeri or Turkish province...

When you are an impoverished, tiny, landlocked, friend-less and a resources-less country you will tend to seek powerful friends. In this regard, Mother Russia is our only option in the region and, at times, it has been God sent for us Armenians. Obviously, Armenia needs to also maintain close and cordial relations with the West and Iran. However, when it comes to the West, Armenians should 'never' think that their national prosperity, or national existence for that matter, is a subject of concern for Brussels or Washington. In this regard, it is no secret that many within Russia's political/military elite, as well as their intelligencia, realize that Armenia's existence as an independent pro-Russian nation within the south Caucasus is crucially important for Russian national interests.

I must also add here that Armenia's existence as a viable nation serves Iranian national interests as well. Russia and Iran have both had long bloody histories of rivalry against Turks. Even today, Moscow and Tehran do 'not' want to see the rise of Azeri/Turkish power in the Caucasus region. Thus, Armenia is the buffer against Turks and their western supporters. This is precisely how Armenia has become a geostrategically pivotal nation for Moscow and Tehran. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that without the Russian/Soviet factor in our national historiography there would not have been an Armenian Republic today.

A point I would like to emphasize: As long as 'true' Russian (Slav/Orthodox) nationalists are in power in Moscow the Armenian Republic has not much to be concerned about.

Although relations between Russia and Armenia today are close and strategic in nature, Moscow was not playing nice with Yerevan for a while. Relations between Yerevan and Moscow were not very stable during the nineteen-nineties. There was a real threat back then that Armenia would brake away from the Russian orbit. Some have even claimed that the parliamentary assassinations in Armenia secured Russia's dominance in Armenia's internal affairs. Reality is that Moscow can make or break nations in the Caucasus, especially now that they have been roaring back to life - with a vengeance. Take a close look at Georgia and Azerbaijan, they have both essentially become hostages to Moscow. Baku nor Tbilisi are able to resist Russian pressure even though they both have direct access to the outside world, and very close alliances/relations with Turkey, EU, USA and Israel. How do you think an impoverished and landlocked Armenia would have faired had official Yerevan opposed Moscow's overtures in Armenia?

Simply stated, Russia wants to control Armenia's energy sector to ensure that Armenia is not able to breakaway from Moscow's orbit and Armenia is in no position today to call the shots with Moscow. In other words, Moscow does not want to place hope in Armenian politicians making the right decisions every few years. By controlling a nation's infrastructure, its lifeline, you secure its allegiance. Taking into serious consideration our people's political shortsightedness and immaturity, I support Moscow's actions in Armenia and I fully support the pro-Russian Hanrapetutyun (Republican) party in Armenia. At this stage in our national development, especially in the Caucasus, Armenia can't allow its citizenry to decide sensitive geopolitical matters. The practice of true "democracy" in a nation like Armenia can potentially prove to be fatal. The sad reality is that Armenians, in general, have revealed that they are incapable of making the right choices in politics.

So, due to the geopolitical nature of the region in question the Armenian Republic has no other choice but to remain firmly in bed with Moscow. In my opinion, in this day in age, when battle-lines are already being draw within various geopolitical theaters around the world, the Armenian Republic 'must' seek to become a Russian outpost. This term - "Russian outpost" - used by a Russian politician several years ago in describing Armenia's relationship to Russia outraged many Armenians worldwide. I ask, why the outrage? Just like western Europe is an American outpost, just like Saudi Arabia is an American outpost, just like Japan is an American outpost, just like Georgia is an American outpost, just like Turkey is an American outpost, etc., Armenia's best bet, its only option today, is to remain as close as possible to the Russian Federation and their regional apparatus.

In my opinion, Yerevan needs to more-or-less distance itself from Washington. Accepting money from official Washington is like taking money from a loan shark. Moreover, the US empire today is on a global rampage of exploitation and bloodshed, and its favorite choice of weapon has been the false notion of bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to the oppressed peoples of the world. However, as we have seen, when Washington's version of "freedom" and "democracy" does not succeed in helping realize its agenda, it soon becomes Washington's "shock and awe" time - like we saw in Serbia and Iraq. The fact of the matter is that Uncle Sam is a sick pervert with a blood lust and he has no place in Armenia's internal affairs. Armenia does not need the "democracy" nor the "freedom" that is exported by Washington - more often than not on the tip of a sharp bayonet. What's more, it does not take a genius to realize that the world's most corrupt, the most undemocratic nations have tended to be Washington's closest partners. Today, the bloodiest and the most destructive entity on earth is the political/military apparatus in Washington.

So be it, Armenia is a Russian outpost - Hurah...

Ideologically and geopolitically Armenia's rightful place is with the Russian Federation. However, Armenia should appreciate Mother Russia for practical reasons as well. In my opinion, the future potentially belongs to Mother Russia. Russia controls the largest oil and gas reserves on earth; Russia controls the largest landmass on earth; Russia controls the largest amounts of natural resources on earth; Russia has managed to monopolize virtually the entire gas/oil distribution of central Asia; Russia has finally been able to brake the shackles of their western antagonists; Russians are now on a fast pace resurgence militarily, politically and economically; Russia controls the politics of the Caucasus; Russia controls the politics of Central Asia; Russia controls the politics of eastern Europe to a large extent; And with their economic/military alliances with China - the 21th century potentially belongs to Russia.

What's more, by far, Russia is Armenia's largest and most lucrative trading partner. Annual trade between Moscow and Yerevan is currently approximately five-hundred million USD and it will most probably reach somewhere around one billion USD in the near future. What's more, Armenia's most affordable source for gas and oil is Russia. What's more, Armenia's only source for affordable and modern military hardware is Russia. What's more, Armenia's only source for nuclear fuel is Russia. And Armenia's only hope in fending off Turkish and/or Azeri aggression in the Caucasus is Yerevan's continuing alliance with the Russian Federation. The only other strategically vital nation for Armenia is Iran.

The hard reality is that a tiny, impoverished and landlocked nation like Armenia does 'not' serve the geopolitical interests of the western world - especially when the Armenian nation has serious problems, historic problems, with the West's most vital allies in the region, namely Azerbaijan and Turkey and to a lesser extent, Georgia. Simply put, Armenia 'only' serves the geostrategic interests of Moscow and to a lesser extent, Tehran. This is the hard reality in the world today. This is our reality in the Caucasus. This is what our national destiny has dealt us, at least for the foreseeable future.

Armenians are naturally concerned about Russia owning a large share of Armenia's energy infrastructure and many of its vital and potentially profitable industries. I agree that these concerns are valid and such a situation may potentially have some longterm negative consequences. In my opinion, however, we need to place this matter in a proper perspective:

Let's make believe that we have a king ruling over a tiny, poor, resource-less, landlocked nation that is blockaded and under the threat of a major war. This nation is located within a hotly contested volatile region. There are foreign forces attempting to cause trouble for the nation internally and externally. The nation is surrounded by unfriendly powers. The nation's industry is dead for it has no secure and/or efficient access to the outside world. The king does not have the means to support his social infrastructure. And he knows well that major powers in the world are in bed with his enemies.... Then a powerful emperor from the north sends the king a proposal: "Pledge your allegiance to us, let us run the infrastructure in your country and we will protect you militarily and we will trade with you." As king, what should he do? Yes, it's a 'very' though call.

The gloomy picture I painted above is not a fairytale nor is it an exaggeration, it is more-or-less the accurate depiction of the geopolitical situation Armenia faces today in the Caucasus. Let's remember that the Caucasus does not allow for mistakes. The last time we made some political mistakes at the turn of the 20th century, look at what happened - 2 million dead and total destruction of our homeland. The ruling administration in Yerevan, for various reasons, personal and political, have decided that the best way for Armenia to go forward is by allowing Russia full access in Armenia. In an ideal political situation I would have opposed such deep levels of Russian control in the Armenian Republic - but politics in the Caucasus is far from ideal.

Nevertheless, due to the realities of our national existence today, the Armenian Republic is not able to utilize its industry effectively. The fact of the matter is, Armenia does not have the resources, it does not have unhindered access routes, it does not have the money, nor does it have the international contacts for its industry to operate independently and efficiently. What's more, Armenia needs to import its energy - gas, oil and nuclear fuel. As I highlighted above, the Russian Federation has more-or-less a monopoly of the region's energy resources and its distribution. As a result, if not Russia, who is Armenia going to rely on for its domestic energy needs? Yes, Armenia has begun dealing with Iran regarding energy, but Iran has serious problems. As we can see, Iran is virtually under siege and if the West could have its way they would cut off Yerevan from Iran in a heartbeat.

What's more, due to Russia's strategic concerns, Moscow does not want to see Yerevan relying on anyone else but Russia. As a result, they are forcing Armenia to allow Moscow to get in on the deal with Iran. So, what can Armenia do at this stage? What options does Yerevan have? Play hardball with Russia by dealing with Azerbaijan and Turkey? I don't think so. Moreover, let us take into consideration that the Russian Federation in its vastness is also an excellent market for Armenian products and a good indirect route to other markets around the world. Therefore, under these prevailing conditions and circumstances in our homeland, why not allow Russia full access into our economy - especially when they are strongly imposing themselves upon us? At the very least, let us find some comfort in the thought that a major superpower today is taking its relationship with the Armenian Republic very seriously.

At this point I would like to also mention that Russia has tended to have internal problem throughout its history. At times, the Russian nation has been very volatile. Russians may be Armenia's dependable partners today but an unforeseen internal problem in the future may change that overnight. This has already happened to Armenia several times in the past. I would like to emphasize yet again that as long as 'true' Russian nationalists are in power in Moscow the Armenia does not have much to be concerned about. Unfortunately, being in the situation it is in today, it is natural that Armenia will be dependent upon a major power for survival. In my opinion, while it lasts, we should take full advantage of our close relations with Russia to strengthen our nation's military, economy and international standing. This way, if the Russian Federation has another one of their internal upheavals in the future our small nation would not be as vulnerable it has been in the past.

Those who bitterly complain about Armenia not having 'true independence' due to the Russian presence in the nation are not comprehending the nuances region's geopolitical situation. Regardless of how proud we are about our national heritage and our fighting spirit, we Armenians must realize that geopolitically speaking our nation is not a major force on earth today. And in an increasingly hostile world we need big friends. As I said, there should be no limits to a true friendship. As such, I hope to see Russo-Armenian relations realizing their full potential. Nevertheless, this is a very complex topic for it has no easy answers. I realize that with or without Russia, living in the Caucasus has its risks.

Armenian
Last edited by Armenian on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 am

Putin Convinced Year of Armenia in Russia Will Be Held at High Level

“I am convinced that all the events scheduled within the framework of the Year of Armenia in Russia will be held at a high level and will attract attention of the Russian audience. The most important fact is that they will promote the development of bilateral relations,” Russian President Vladimir Putin stated during the meeting with Armenian leader Robert Kocharian. “I would like to thank you that you personally arrived to participate in the opening of this important event for our bilateral relationships. We hold meetings regularly but this is not an ordinary meeting,” Vladimir Putin noted. For his part Robert Kocharian thanked his Russian counterpart for the participation in the opening ceremony of the Year of Armenia is Russia. “As I have already said we would like to make these events interesting for the Russian people. This implies the depth and strengthening of our relations. I am strongly hopeful that we will manage to realize everything we have planned with the active support of the Russian party,” the Armenian President underscored.

Armenia-Russia Relations Develop in Spirit of Friendship and Alliance

Relations between Armenia and Russia develop in spirit of friendship and alliance, Armenian President's Advisor Vigen Sargsyan stated in an interview with the Public TV Company of Armenia when commenting on the goals of the events within the Year of Armenia in Russia. In his words, the national Year of Armenia in Russia is a wider concept than Culture Days or Culture Month. «Organizational Committee led by Hovik Abrahamyan works to present Armenia in various regions and towns of Russia,» he said. Besides, the Year is also aimed at acquainting the young generation with Armenia and its culture. «The older generation is well familiar with the Armenian culture. The matter is in addressing our efforts to the youth,» Vigen Sargsyan said. January 22 the Year of Armenia in Russia opened in the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow with participation of Presidents of the two countries.

News Source: http://www.panarmenian.net/news/eng/?nid=16101&folder=2

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 am

ImageImage

Armenia Armed by Russia for battles with Azerbaijan Scandal compared to Iran-Contra

Russia secretly has shipped more than $1 billion worth of arms to Armenia,
apparently to be used against - pro-Western Azerbaijan and - to force the
Azeris -and their strategic oil reserves into Russia's orbit.

Aman Tuleyev, minister for relations with the Commonwealth of Independent
States, has acknowledged that Moscow supplied Armenia with 84 T-72 main
battle tanks, 72 heavy howitzers, 24 Scud missiles with eight launchers,
50 armored personnel carriers and millions of rounds of ammunition.

Lev Rokhlin, the chairman of the Defense Committee of the Duma, the lower
House of the Russian parliament, told a closed Duma session April 2 that
Moscow had -shipped $1 billion worth of weapons to the tough, nationalist
government of President Levon Ter-Petrosian in Yerevan. His report was
similar to Mr. Tuleyev's acknowledgment.

Between 1992 and early 1994, when the conflict was at its height, Russian
heavy transport aircraft were said to have ferried 1,300 tons of
ammunition across the Caucasus to the Armenian capital. Most of the tanks
were flown in aboard giant Antonov planes from the city of Akhtubinsk.

The Azeris say Russia also supplied 1,000 hand-fired Strela-2 and Strela-3
anti-aircraft missiles, which were moved by ship across The Caspian Sea,
then sent over land through Iran to Armenia. Iran has denied playing any
role.

Western intelligence sources said The weapons played a crucial role in
Armenia's, seizure of large areas of Azerbaijan, which created a million
refugees, more than from any other conflict in Europe since World War II.
Although Russia's military support for Armenia in its long conflict with
Azerbaijan has been well-known, the extent of the arms transfers came as a
surprise.

Responding to the revelations, Russian President Boris Yeltsin ordered a
major government probe Saturday that could implicate his longtime defense
minister, Marshal Pavel Grachev who was fired last spring.

Russian military prosecutors are considering calling Marshal Grachev in
for questioning over the scandal, which has been compared to The
Iran-Contra affair.

The- chairman of the Azeri parliament, Murtuz Alesketov, said Saturday the
arms shipments could destabilize the Caucasus. "If these arms are not
returned, this could lead to a new large-scale war in the region" he said
at parliamentary hearings in Baku.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union at the end of 1991, Shi'ite Muslim
Azerbaijan has eagerly courted American oil companies to help it develop
the immense oil and gas reserves of the Caspian Sea, estimated as second
in size and value only to those in the Persian Gulf.

Russia has responded by backing Orthodox Christian Armenia, its historic
ally.

On March 29, shortly after Mr. Yeltsin's Helsinki summit with President
Clinton, the Russian leader finalized a treaty of friendship and strategic
partnership with Mr. Ter-Petrosian.

The move came after Mr. - Ter-Petrosian alarmed Azerbaijan by appointing
The hard-line leader of ethnic Armenian Nagorno-Karabakh, a region of
Azerbajjan, as prime minister of Armenia, a move widely regarded as paving
the way for a renewed attack on Azerbaijan.

There are at least 20,000 Russian 4th Army troops in Armenia concentrated
around three major bases.

Ivan Rybkin, head of Russia's Security Council, said after a meeting in
Moscow with Mr. Ter-Petrosian on March 27 that the new bilateral treaty
would have a "military component", the Moscow newspaper Nezavisimaya
Gazeta reported March 28.

Some Moscow analysts believe that Defense Minister Igor Rodionov and his
supporters leaked details of the arms deals now to prevent Mr. Yeltsin
from bringing back Marshal Grachev as chief military inspector at the
Defense Ministry, the independent Moscow newspaper Segodnya said.

Link: http://www.geocities.com/baguirov/arms1.htm

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:02 am

ImageImageImage

Vladimir Putin Tries to Keep Armenia as the Last Ally of Russia

The official part of a visit of the President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, to Armenia has begun. The formal pretext for the visit was the opening of the Year of Russia in Armenia. In actual fact, the agenda goes beyond the framework of protocol and cultural functions: it will include the Karabakh problem, cooperation in the gas sphere, and the use of Armenian territory for the deployment of Russian military bases which will be withdrawn from Georgia within the next few years. The President of Russia, together with his Armenian colleague, Robert Kocharyan, will take part in the official opening of the Year of Russia in Armenia and attend a gala concert. The pompous protocol functions serve as a smokescreen for a very important dialogue on the burning issues of the day. Alarmed by a whole series of “Rose”, “Orange” and other revolutions, Russia is afraid of losing one of the last of its bulwarks in the area of the former USSR.

In the context of the deepening of their strategic partnership the presidents of the two countries will discuss the problems of resolving the Karabakh conflict, as well as the prospects of deploying the Russian military bases on Armenian territory, which should be withdrawn from Georgia within the next few years. As regards the first problem, Moscow tries to soften the position of Yerevan in order to avoid the exacerbation of the relations with Baku. The Kremlin hoped to bring the President of Armenia, Robert Kocharyan, and the President of Azerbaijan, Ilkham Aliyev, to negotiations during the celebration of the 60th anniversary of Victory in the last war in Moscow in May. However, judging by information coming in from Baku, President Aliyev will hardly come to Moscow for the occasion.

The question of the withdrawal of Russian troops and arms from Georgia has been solved, in the main, as a result of negotiations with the Georgian leadership, although the deadlines have not been fixed. The most probable time will be 2007. After that Russia hopes to deploy its military units on Armenian territory, in the vicinity of the Russian base No 102. Yerevan agrees to it, but puts forward a number of conditions. The main one is a solution to the problem of the transport blockade of Armenia. This is why both Moscow and Yerevan hope to work out a concerted policy aimed at obtaining Georgia's consent to a free transport corridor by commissioning the Novorossiisk – Poti sea ferry, and also resuming the railway connection through the territory of Abkhazia.

Naturally, the questions of military cooperation will also be discussed. Armenia receives arms and ammunition from Russia at preferential prices. To date more than 500 Armenian army officers study in Russia free of charge, that is, at the expense of the Russian budget. This figure can be bigger. A range of problems to be discussed deal with the relations between Russia, Armenia and Iran. Teheran remains an important regional partner of Moscow, but it views rather cautiously the plans to build a gas pipeline between Iran and Armenia, which will later be one of the channels of supplying Iranian gas to Ukraine and Europe. But the deputy foreign minister of Armenia, Gegam Garibjanyan, has said that Russia should take part in the negotiations on the matter. President Putin will, no doubt, raise the question of “Gazprom” taking part in the implementation of this project.
Boris Volkhonsky

News Source: http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=557608

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:04 am

ARMENIA BUILDS UP ITS MILITARY MIGHT AGAINST THE BACKGROUND OF THE DEEPENING CRISIS IN THE RELATIONS WITH AZERBAIJAN THAT THREATENS WITH FULL-SCALE WAR

Agency WPS/DEFENSE and SECURITY (Russia)
August 27, 2004, Friday

The Russian-Armenian military cooperation develops quite dynamically.
Not long ago, Russia lent a sympathetic ear to Armenia's request
concerning training of up to 150 officers. Complicated situation in
the Caucasus forces the authorities of Armenia to pay unfeigned
attention to national defense. According to official data alone, the
2004 Armenian state budget allocated almost $82 million for military
needs, an almost 10% rise against war spending in 2003. Estimates of
the International Institute of Strategic Studies (London) show that
in 2002 Armenia was the CIS leader in the arms spending to GDP ratio
- 6.4%, an equivalent of $162 million.

The CIA claims that as far as this particular parameter is concerned,
Armenia is the 11th in the world; it spent $135 million on its army
in 2001. When the closed parliamentary hearing of fulfillment of the
2003 budget was over not long ago, Armenian Defense Minister Serzh
Sarkisjan said that arms spending would be increased next year
again. Sarkisjan refused to elaborate but said that the Armenian
national army was initiating a program of rearmament.

It should be noted that the population of Armenia, not exactly a
wealthy country, does not object to these measures taken by national
leaders. The population is perfectly aware of the undeclared war with
Azerbaijan that is under way. Serious clashes are regularly reported
in the areas where Armenian and Azerbaijani troops face each other;
shots have been fired by sharpshooters for a decade (ever since the
cease-fire on the Karabakh front was signed). Moreover, official
Yerevan positions itself as a guarantor of security of Karabakh.

Turkey is another potential enemy. Diplomatic relations with Turkey
have never been established. Ankara is still blocking the border with
Armenia and pursuing an openly anti-Armenian policy. Sociologists of
the Armenian Center of National and Strategic Studies discovered that
47.5% respondents in Armenia believe that the war with Azerbaijan may
be resumed within five years, and 7% more expect a Turkish aggression
within the same span of time.

Figures

Armenian national army is considered one of the most combat ready in
the Caucasus. These days, it is over 60,000 men strong. According to
the CIA, there are 810,000 men in Armenia aged 15 to 59 and almost
650,000 of them are fit for combat. Most experts say, however, that
mobilization resources of Armenia amount to 300,000 men, i.e. almost
10% of the total population (over 3.2 million).

Under the Treaty on Conventional Arms in Europe, in 2001 Armenia
declared 102 T-72 tanks and 204 armored vehicles (most of them
infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers). With the
military hardware the Treaty on Conventional Arms in Europe does not
apply to, Armenia has up to 700 armored vehicles. Its artillery
comprises 225 pieces of 122 mm and larger calibers including 50
multiple rocket launchers.

The Armenian Air Force includes five SU-25 ground-attack aircraft,
one MIG-25, 35 helicopters (the latter include twelve MI-24 attack
helicopters), and 3,000 servicemen. Yerevan intends to build up this
component of its Armed Forces. Not long ago, Defense Ministry of
Slovenia proclaimed the sale of ten SU-25s to Armenia (nine SU-25K
one-seaters and one SU-25UBK two-seater). The consignment will cost
Armenia $1 million. Armenia bought two IL-76 military transports from
Russia not long ago. The transports were bought at Russian domestic
prices and made it to Armenia together with Defense Minister of
Russia Sergei Ivanov.

Armenia builds up its Air Force in the hope of making it a match for
the Azerbaijani, but its antiaircraft defense is considered the best
throughout the Caucasus. Armenian antiaircraft defense comprises an
antiaircraft missile brigade and two regiments armed with almost 100
antiaircraft complexes of various models and modifications (Osa,
Krug, S-75, and S-125). Numerical strength is estimated at about
2,000 servicemen. Armenian antiaircraft defense developed in a hurry
in the war over Karabakh when Azerbaijani Air Force regularly and
energetically bombarded Armenian trenches and settlements both in
Karabakh and in Armenia's own border districts. There was nothing
Armenia could do about it then. By 1993, however, it already had a
formidable antiaircraft defense in Armenia itself and in the Republic
of Nagorno-Karabakh. Its deployment cut Azerbaijani advantage in the
sky to the minimum.

These days, the Armenian skies are controlled by Armenian and Russian
antiaircraft defense units on joint combat duty since 1999. There are
at least 30 MIG-29 fighters and a regiment of S-300s quartered on the
territory of Armenia.

Allies in the Organization of the CIS Collective Security Treaty

Armenia is a member of the Organization of the CIS Collective
Security Treaty. As such, it participates in all events organized
within its framework. In any case, Russia is Armenia's oldest and
traditional ally. Ever since the regaining of sovereignty, the tandem
of Moscow and Yerevan has served as one of the few examples of bona
fide military-political cooperation in the Commonwealth. There is
practically no discord between Russia and Armenia in this sphere.

Russia and Armenia together defend the Armenian airspace or, rather,
the southern border of the Commonwealth. Armenian borders with Turkey
and Iran are manned by almost 2,000 Russian bodyguards who serve
shoulder to shoulder with their Armenian counterparts. Yet, it is the
102nd Military Base in Gyumri that is Russia's major outpost in
Armenia. Unlike Tbilisi or Baku, official Yerevan never brings up the
subject of withdrawal of the Russian troops. When Sarkisjan is asked
the question, he never answers believing it a rhetoric question.
Armenian society regards the Russian troops as a covering force
defending it from the Turkish aggression.

Until recently, the 102nd Military Base had 74 tanks, 17 battle
infantry vehicles, 148 armored personnel carriers, 84 artillery
pieces, up to 30 MIG-23s and MIG-29s, and a regiment of S-300
antiaircraft complexes. In the last eighteen months, however, a great
deal of military hardware was moved there from Georgia. Armenia gave
the land and objects used by the 102nd Military Base over to Russia
and covers some communal services.

Officer training is another sphere of Russian-Armenian military
cooperation. In the first years of sovereignty when Armenia did not
have military educational establishments of its own, officers of its
army were trained in Russia. Even now when Armenia has a military
college on its own territory, the Armenian officer corps honors the
tradition and is trained at Russian military educational
establishments. On a visit to Armenia in late May, Ivanov said that
600 Armenian servicemen are being trained in Russia. "Armenia asks
for the permission to send 150 servicemen to Russia in 2005, and
Russia gave its consent," Ivanov said.

It seems that Moscow and Yerevan do not plan to stop. The first
meeting of the joint Russian-Armenian government panel for
military-technical cooperation will take place this autumn. According
to Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov, Russian factories will participate
in the Armenian program of military hardware modernization. He even
said that Russia is prepared to supply the necessary spare parts an
equipment.

Belarus is another ally of Armenia in the Organization of the CIS
Collective Security Treaty. The two countries signed a treaty in
2002. Under the document, Armenia will receive light weapons, armored
vehicles, ordnance, and optical devices in return for spare parts and
gadgets for military hardware. Armenia also intends to have its heavy
military hardware upgraded at Belarusian factories. Lieutenant
General Sergei Gurulev, Chief of the General Staff of the Belarusian
Armed Forces, says that the Armenian-Belarusian military contacts
"become systematic and deliberate."

Do not forget NATO

Greece is Armenia's best ally in the Alliance. Greece and Armenia
share ancient ties and a common enemy - Turkey. Armenian officers are
trained in Greece. Every now and then Athens puts into motion
military aid programs. In 2003, the two countries signed another
military cooperation accord under which Greece will up the number of
Armenian servicemen trained at the military and military-medical
academies in Athens.

Armenia became a peacekeeper in February. It sent 34 servicemen to
Kosovo where they became an element of the Greek contingent. Armenian
servicemen in Kosovo are paid by the Greeks. Yerevan has been shifting towards NATO lately, mostly within the framework of the NATO's Partnership for Peace Program. Cooperative Best Effort exercise (the first one where Russia was represented) was run on the territory of Armenia in 2003.

Armenian cooperation with NATO is mostly declarative for the time
being, but the United States - the country steadily upping its clout
with countries of the region - has far-reaching plans with regard to
Yerevan. In early 2003, the Pentagon announced several major military
programs in the Caucasus. Washington's military aid to Armenia in
2004 will amount to $5 million even though the US Administration
intended to restrict it to $2 million at first. Armenia and the
United States signed a military-technical cooperation accord in
April. Some articles in the American media imply that the accord
specifies the use of Armenian airfields by the US AF.

Proclaiming complementariness as its foreign political doctrine,
official Yerevan never misses a chance to advance its contacts with
Washington. When the war in Iraq was under way, Armenia remained
neutral. It neither supported the war and America's action nor
condemned them. These days, however, the parliament and government of
Armenia are working on the legislation that will enable Yerevan to
send servicemen to Iraq. The Cabinet already endorsed the decision of
the Defense Ministry to subscribe to the memorandum "On the command
and settlement of issues in connection with activities of the
international division in the forces of coalition in Iraq". At first,
Armenia will probably send 10 de-miners and 3 doctors and some trucks
to Iraq.

Moreover, Armenia even permitted the United States to modernize its
communications, one of the most vulnerable items. Yerevan expects to
get communications means from American companies. The deliveries will
be paid for by the White House (the sum amounts to $7 million).
Commenting on it, Sarkisjan said that Russia is quite understanding.
"We are allies. It means that the strengthening of one partner will
benefit the other," said Sarkisjan. "We initiated the process a year
ago, and I found our Russian colleagues quite understanding." He said
that from military cooperation with the United States Armenia
expected to up combat potential of its own army.

So, Armenia ups its military might against the background of the
deepening crisis in the relations with Azerbaijan, the crisis that
threatens to deteriorate into another full-scale war. It should be
noted as well that in any conflict the Armenian national army may
count on servicemen from Karabakh. In fact, the Karabakh army even
leaves the Armenian behind in some parameters. Karabakh armed
formations cannot match the Armenian army in manpower (about 20,000
servicemen and mobilization resources at 60,000 men), but they are
certainly ahead of Armenia in heavy military hardware: 316 tanks, 324
armored vehicles, 322 artillery pieces of calibers over 122 mm, 44
multiple rocket launchers, and the antiaircraft defense system that
performed flawlessly in the hostilities in the 1990's.

News Source: http://groong.usc.edu/news/msg92385.html

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:05 am

If Russia yields Armenia, it will lose all of its positions in the Caucasus: interview with Viktor Nadein-Rayevsky

Senior researcher of the Institute of World Economy and International Relations of the Russian Academy of Sciences Viktor Nadein-Rayevsky answers REGNUM’s questions:

REGNUM: Mr. Nadein-Rayevsky, presently Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is paying a visit to Turkey and Turkish President Ahmed Necet Sezer is going to shortly visit Russia. The sides are speaking about strategic cooperation – basically, in energy. What do you think about Russian-Turkish relations and the prospects of their development?

The strategy term is hardly applicable to Russian-Turkish relations. Russia and Turkey have never had any strategy in the past, do not have it in the present and will hardly have it in the future. Turkey was the first who tried to bring in some strategy in bilateral relations: in 1990 Ankara attempted to make a strategic alliance with the Soviet Union, but decided to take time when it collapsed. The Turks hoped that now they would be able to enlarge relations already with the post-Soviet republics and with some of them to use the factor of common Turkic origin and language. They planned this almost the way Ataturk planned, but they failed: the newly independent nations turned out to be quite different in mentality and culture. Historically, Turkey itself is responsible for the gradual distancing between the Turkic nations: they first regarded themselves as Ottomans, then, under Abdul Hamid II, they proclaimed pan-Islamism, then, they still preferred pan-Turkism and brought into power Young Turks, who joined Germany during the WWI – so much eager they were to expand.

Everything what happened after 1991 was, to a certain extent, the consequence of this pan-Turkic policy. Pan-Turkism proved impracticable – it was like Communism. Not that the national elites of the Turkic republics were just unready to give up power, they were simply unwilling to do that: to give power, money and economy for some idea – nobody will agree to this. Ankara saw that there is absolutely no basis for pan-Turkism. Roughly speaking, they faced the same we faced with our Slavonic brothers in XIX.

As regards Russia, as I have already said, it was mainly Turkey who tried to bring up bilateral relations to the level of strategic cooperation. The first Ankara’s proposal in 1990 was rejected by the Soviet authorities as they took it as an attempt to interfere in the Soviet influence zone, which was right. Turkey raised this issue again in 1995, when its pan-Turkic policy ran across some impassable barriers – but our position was the same. It was then that Turkey began realizing that 90% of its ties in the Soviet area were with Russia and no Uzbekistan could replace the millions of dollars it got from shuttle trade. It turned out that language is not the main thing. The main thing is economic interests – the lives of people and the life of a nation. This is the very principle the present Russian-Turkish ties are based on. The key link between Russia and Turkey has been and is economy. Already before the big energy projects, like the Blue Flow, Turkey got $6 bln-$15 bln from shuttle trade alone, and it was the key source of income for its economy for quite a long time.

REGNUM: The first thing that comes in mind when one speaks of Turkey’s trade policy is Turkish “fast moving consumer goods.” Is this problem still topical for the Russian consumers, if yes, how serious is it?

In 1995 we warned the Turks that they should not trade with us the way they did, that they should raise the quality of their goods to the European standards, that our consumers were buying Turkish goods only because of hard social conditions, that they would no longer buy them as soon as they got better-off, that Turkey could lose our market. In the following years Turkey faced default but still preserved its shuttle trade. Later, suitcase sellers were replaced by firms trading in big lots and paying taxes. It was already an improvement. The quality control was also improved. Now Turkey is trying to make quality the basis of its trade as it clearly understands that it can get in the situation the Georgian and Moldavian wines got in.

One should always care for the quality of his exports rather than just allege that Russia does something for political motives. Our relations With Georgia have been tensed for many years already — but what we actually want is to, finally, taste a normal Georgian wide. Russia is fighting with all low quality producers and with home producers it is even tougher than with foreigners. I think we are right as it is high time to stop high mortality caused by faked alcohol – to stop the death of tens of thousands of people every year. The same was the situation with the American chicken legs – the row was big but they solved the problem. The US raised the quality control standards. Why could they do this and Georgia and Moldova can’t? This is a national issue, and when the Russian president spoke about demography he meant there will be no indulgence – for Turkey either.

REGNUM: They in Armenia are worried with any closer contacts between Russia and Turkey? Can Russian-Turkish relations be bad for Armenia?

Russia will never cede Armenia for improving its relations with Turkey. This is a matter of principle. There are things one can sacrifice, but there are things one cannot. The point is not so much that two million Armenians live in Russia and many of them are Russian citizens. For Armenia Russia’s steps must never be bad. The point is that even the Yeltsin Russia perfectly realized that it must not waive Armenia’s interests, not mentioning Putin, who clearly sees the national interests, at least, the clear ones. He is trying to extrapolate them for the future. I simply can’t imagine that Russia may yield Armenia – if Russia does this it will lose all of its positions in the Caucasus. Russia should understand one most important thing – there are partners and allied countries with whom one should keep up the sense of alliance and duty.

REGNUM: How could you explain the outburst of activity of the Iranian Azeris? Large-scale destabilization – is it possible and what consequences it may have?

There are several versions. Northern Iran has two provinces with some 12 mln-18 mln Azeri residents. Iranian Azeris are not outcasts in Iran. Iran is a multi-national and multi-religious country and Azeris have their serious place there. Even the religious leader of Iran Ayatollah Khamenei is Azeri. The basic principle in Iran is religion rather than nationality.

Iran’s official version is that the protest actions are an American project. They probably have proofs, but I don’t believe this. My personal opinion is that this is an Iranian project, or the result of local nationalism, or a preventive action to neutralize a potentially unreliable element. In any case, many complex processes are taking place in Iran – many people are displeased with the tyranny of mullahs who dictate a lifestyle nobody accepts any longer outside Iran. Obviously, there is tension and there is need for reforms. At best, this situation may end in reforms and, if the Iranian authorities prove wise enough to carry them out, everything will be OK. Of course, the Americans can capitalize on this tension. They can use any social tension to plot a revolution, which is all but good for Iran.

REGNUM: How much probable is the US’ active invasion of Iran or its preventive strikes on its nuclear facilities?

Though I don’t believe this will happen, I prefer to call this hypothetical action “a possible American stupidity.” The strikes by Israel or US groups will spark off numerous mostly unpredictable scenarios. One thing is clear – there will be no internal explosion. The Iranian authorities will be able to unite their people against the foreign enemy, to stop all reforms, which will mean an end to the hopes of the democratic part of the Iranian society. It seems that the Americans do not realize this, they are like an elephant in a china-shop. For them the invasion of Iran is an initially counterproductive action. They will immediately lose the confidence of the Shiahs — 55%-60% of the Iraqis. As a result, they will get a collapsing coalition and anti-American southern Iraq.

REGNUM: What are the chances that Turkey may join the anti-Iranian coalition?

I very much doubt that it will. Turkey is wise enough not to get there as this would be a suicide. This would mean to blow up the 10-12 mln Kurds, to blow up Shiahs – a total of 1/3 of the Turkish population. This would be a fatal trick. The Turks are wise politicians and they will not get into this bog exactly now that their economy is coming out of crisis. The Iraqi example has shown that it is very hard to insure oneself from the American stupidity. They got into a mess in Iraq though they could get what they wanted – oil – in a more civilized manner. Relying on force, they could not imagine that cities can also be a serious arena for guerrilla war, they were not ready for that. As regards the South Caucasus, here the major risk is the flow of refugees who may simply overwhelm the region in case of bad scenario.

Link: http://www.regnum.ru/english/armenia/651208.html

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:06 am

Rubles for Resources: Top Russian investments exploit Armenia and energy

By Arpi Harutyunyan, ArmeniaNow reporter

According to official government information, Russia’s investment in independent Armenia reached $407 million late last year. It is not so much the total that has drawn economists’ attention, but the sharp increase of business investment in the most recent three or four years. In 2004 and 2005, for example, Russian investment in Armenia exceeded $100 million – one fourth of their 14-year post-Soviet economic involvement.

While control of Armentel telecommunication has kept the Greeks at or near the top of Armenia’s foreign-based investors, Gnel Mayilian, head of the Ministry of Trade and Economic Development’s department for investment policy and market infrastructure development, says Russia has the greatest importance for Armenia in terms of the effectiveness of investments.

“The Russian market for us has always been distinguished by investment programs carried out by them in our country. It is obvious that such investments have a considerable impact on Armenia’s economic growth,” explains Mayilian. “But we must also point out that Russian organizations making investment deals in Armenia are also able to ensure the protection of their interests as a result of the liberalized market conditions here.”

As of January 2005, the most recent available statistics, there were 689 companies with Russian capital investment registered in Armenia. The establishment of such businesses in Armenia is encouraged at the level of state policy, but also by the existence of bilateral legal agreements. “Our countries are interested in having a stable situation in the Caucasus and, therefore, in the formation of an atmosphere of confidence that contributes to sustainable development in the social and economic spheres,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said during his visit to Armenia last year.

In 2001, the governments of Armenia and Russia signed an agreement “On Mutual Encouragement and Protection of Investments”, which was ratified in 2005. Besides this agreement, there are more than 10 interstate and intergovernmental resolutions on trade and economy between the two countries. Some 160 interstate and intergovernmental resolutions between the two, make Russia Armenia’s No. 1 trade partner.

{ai151402.jpg|right}Igor Levitin, Russia’s Minister of Transport, and co-chairman of the Russian-Armenian Intergovernmental Commission on Economic Cooperation, says Russia-Armenia free-trade agreements are constantly being improved. The most effective investment deal of recent years is considered to be the sale of the aluminum producing Armenal enterprise to the Russian company RusAl, a deal which resulted in a $100 million investment.

Before the Armenal deal, which was agreed upon in 2000, with production commencing last year, the biggest slice of the Russian-Armenian pie belonged to the Russian natural gas company, Gazprom. In 1997, ArmRosGazprom (ARG) was created. Russia’s Gazprom and the Armenian Government each hold a 45 percent stake with the remaining 10 percent owned by a Canadian exploration and petroleum industry corporation. According to the Ministry of Trade, ARG has invested about $60 million in the improvement and development of gas supplies in Armenia.

ARG, which is the only importer of gas to Armenia (via Georgia) is one of the republic’s largest companies with about 5,000 employees. Last year, it imported 1.685 billion cubic meters of gas, an increase of some 350,000 cubic meters over 2004. As of January 1, 2006, ARG had 360,634 subscribers, an increase of 100,000 in the past 12 months. In Soviet times, Armenia had 485,585 gas subscribers, but the energy and economic crises of the early 1990s eliminated this market as gas supplies dried up and residents switched to electricity.

In just the past three years, however, ARG has restored service to 74.3 percent of former customers in 41 cities and towns as well as 316 rural communities. Shushan Sardarian, the head of ARG’s press service, says that consumption of natural gas rose 24.2 percent in 2005, compared with 2004. According to Karen Karapetian, ARG’s chief executive, the company plans to invest $15 million in Armenian energy and are also participating in construction of the Armenian section of the pipeline carrying gas supplies from Iran.

He says that ARG has emerged out of the red to become a profitable company, thanks to some complex restructuring carried out between 2003 and 2005. “The company finished 2004 in profit. ARG in principle has reached a turning point and is now in a stable position with the opportunity for regular profits and improvement day by day,” Karapetian says. Those profits will first be used to make good some 10 billion drams ($22.25 million) in infrastructure damage – primarily the replacement of worn-out pipe – incurred before 2003, and in repaying the large-scale investment made since 1997.

As with other utility services in post-Soviet Armenia, part of ARG’s success will depend on its ability to enforce user payment, and to curtail the common practice of “pirated” gas by which residents get around regulations by installing their own delivery links. Even so, ARG estimates that it will be the country’s number one taxpayer by 2007. Not only Armenia’s gas supplies but also its electricity generation is under Russian control. The sale of the Armenian Electricity Network (AEN) by Midland Resources Ltd to the Russian Inter RAO UES company for $75 million last year caused considerable controversy.

Midland Resources bought the network in a privatization in 2002 that specified that the purchaser had to obtain approval from the Armenian government before any future sale. However, the transfer to Inter RAO UES appeared to take place without official approval, sparking protests from the World Bank representative in Armenia. At first, Midland Resources and the Russian buyer claimed that no sale was involved, but only the agreement of a management contract, lasting 99 years. Later, official approval was given for the formal sale of the entity.

Inter RAO UES, which is chaired by Anatoly Chubais, a former senior Russian government minister responsible for privatizations, was established in 1997. It acts as an electricity export-import company both in Russia and abroad, particularly in the former Soviet states. According to AEN’s information service, while the new owner is expanding its market, AEN is also making major investments to improve the whole system (though it declined to be specific). Work on re-equipping its regional plants is also aimed at facilitating the development of large-scale business in Armenia.

The copper-smelting plant in the town of Alaverdi in Lori region was re-started by the Manes-Valex company following a privatization and renamed ACP (Armenian Copper Program). ACP is headed by the Moscow-based Armenian businessman Valeri Mezhlumian, who took control of the plant in 1997. In early 2000, after 11 years of standing idle, the plant began once again to produce copper. In the 1980s, it turned out 40,000 tons of pure copper annually and was a major money-maker for the USSR. Production stopped after Armenia’s independence, and over the years the plant was almost totally plundered of anything valuable.

“Currently, the plant produces a quarter of its former output, but we still have a lot of room for improvement. In a few years, we plan to create an additional 2,000 jobs. Soon we will start cooperation mainly with European countries,” says Andranik Ghambarian, ACP’s head of general operations in Alaverdi. Today, ACP is engaged in the exploration, development, excavation and extraction of natural resources involving minerals and metals. The company has invested $7 million so far and currently has a production capacity of about 10,000 tons of copper a year.

ACP has obtained licenses to develop two major mines in Armenia and to explore six others. It believes that $6.6 million of investments already made in the Alaverdi mine will make it possible to extract 65,000 tons of copper a year. The Ministry of Trade’s Mayilian says investments in the plant are particularly well made. “It is a company that independently solves its financial problems and also attracts investment credit,” she says.

The Ministry also praises the level of investment in the chemical plant in Vanadzor, Lori region, Armenia’s third largest city. The Russian Zakneftegazstroy-Prometey company, which is led by Armenian Senik Gevorkian, bought the chemical complex in 1998, including its associated fiber plant and thermal power station. Its investments totaled $20 million so far, mostly on re-equipping the plant to modern standards so that production could resume last year. Many of its products are exported to Russia, boosting Armenia’s trade volumes.

Link: http://armenianow.com/?action=printa...e251abd3104734

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 am

ImageImageImage

Russian Official Chided For Calling Armenia ‘Outpost’

By Anna Saghabalian

Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian on Wednesday publicly took issue with a senior Russian official who has described Armenia as Russia’s main “outpost” in the South Caucasus. Boris Gryzlov, the pro-Kremlin speaker of the lower house of the Russian parliament, made the comment during a visit to Yerevan earlier this month. It was apparently meant to praise the Armenian government’s close military and political ties with his country. However, official Yerevan has since been facing embarrassing attacks from opposition politicians and media portraying Gryzlov’s description as a manifestation of Armenia’s “subordination” to its former Soviet master.

“I think that that word does not correctly express the nature of our relations,” said Oskanian. “I think that Mr. Gryzlov referred to our truly good relations. He just didn’t use the right word.” Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliev was quick to seize upon Gryzlov’s remark. "We are confused: We have always considered Armenia a state, but now it turns out that it is an outpost," he said on Friday. President Robert Kocharian hit back the next day, suggesting that Baku is “jealous” about the Russian-Armenian alliance. Oskanian, for his part, claimed that Armenia is more independent in the international arena than its ex-Soviet neighbors more oriented toward the West. “Their dependence is much deeper and their room for maneuvers is more limited,” he said.

News Source: http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeni...B2B10E75E7.ASP

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:09 am

Poll Confirms Pro-Russian Sentiment In Armenia

By Armen Zakarian

An opinion poll made public by a private Yerevan-based think-tank on Friday showed Russia topping the list of countries that are considered friendly by the majority of Armenians. Researchers from the Armenian Center for National and International Studies (ACNIS) said 89.2 percent of 2,000 people randomly polled by them across the country described Russia as a friendly nation. They said France comes second in the rankings with almost three-quarters of the respondents thinking well of it.

According to the survey results, only 46.8 percent described the United States as Armenia’s friend, while neighboring Iran got almost 50 percent support. They show that Georgia is perceived to be more neutral than friendly by Armenians. The ACNIS pollsters said 77 percent of them stand for a deepening of Armenia’s already close relations with Russia. Just over half and one third of them would like stronger ties with the European Union and the U.S respectively.

This contrasts sharply with the findings of a parallel survey of political and economic experts conducted by the ACNIS. The vast majority of them want closer links with the West rather than Russia. Only about one fifth of the experts interviewed by the think-tank support the continued presence of the Russian military base in Armenia. Forty percent said they would be happy to see both Russian and NATO bases stationed in Armenian territory.

Predictably, Armenia’s two other neighbors, Azerbaijan and Turkey, were overwhelmingly identified as “enemies,” with 91 percent and 78 percent of the ordinary respondents subscribing to that view respectively. About half of them considered the threat of a new war with Azerbaijan to be the main challenge to Armenia’s national security.

The poll also suggests that less than half of ordinary Armenians explicitly support the reopening of their country’s border with Turkey, according to the ACNIS survey. About as many of them believe that a full reconciliation between the two peoples is impossible without Turkish recognition of the 1915 genocide of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. Furthermore, 56.3 percent said the Turks are capable of committing another genocide and should not be trusted.

(Photolur archive: Russian border guards marching in their base in Gyumri, Armenia.)

Source: http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeni...43CA3DCC33.asp

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:10 am

Russian deputy speaker: “Russia has every reason to recognize Artsakh, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transdnestr”

“The international situation has given us a positive example – if Albanians receive the right to establish their own independent state in the foreign territory, so ancient Armenian people must perhaps receive the right to restore the territory;” leader of the Russian Liberal Democratic Party, Deputy Speaker of Russian State Duma Vladimir Zhirinovsky is quoted by a REGNUM correspondent as stating in Moscow, speaking at the third Russia’s Armenian Union (RAU) Congress.

“Yes, we pity Serbs, but it is a positive signal for the international community – it is a positive signal for Artsakh (Nagorno Karabakh – REGNUM), for Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transdnestr,” Zhirinovsky continued. According to him, if the international community recognizes Kosovo and Montenegro, Russia will have every reason to recognize analogous territories, especially as it has more rights for that, because these republics were parts of the Russian Empire, and now they pretend to restore their legal personalities. “It may not be denied – it is the international law,” he stated.

As Vladimir Zhirinovsky stressed, addressing to the Russian Armenians Union (RAU) Congress deputies and guests, “the Armenian people have already been suffering for 100 years, and it is necessary to achieve adoption of at least one international organization’s resolution on returning territories to Armenian state by 2015, the 100th anniversary of those awful events.” “It is not enough to recognize the Genocide; the territories should be returned. Those ones, who are living there now, should be returned to Ashgabat and Tashkent — what does one people need two states for? And territories should be returned to Armenia and Kurdistan. Kurds are betrayed people too – they have been expecting for 100 years,” the LDPR leader said.

Also, he called the RAU to be more active in the Russian provinces and to cooperate with Russian political and non-governmental organizations in order to explain to young generation of Russians that “Armenians are our brothers; they are Christians, and they have been living side by side with Russians for hundreds of years.” Zhirinovsky called on the RAU to cooperate for realization of other socially vital initiatives.

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:13 am

According to Georgians, the recent tension between Russia and Georgia over 'spy' charges may have an Armenian dimension as well.

Armenia distanced itself Thursday from the latest upsurge in Russian-Georgian tensions that has been triggered by the arrest of a group of Russian military officers for alleged spying which Georgia says was coordinated by Russian intelligence agents in Yerevan.

Georgian authorities said on Wednesday that they detained four GRU (Russian military intelligence) officers as well as 11 Georgian citizens suspected of involvement in an alleged Russian plot against the pro-Western government in Tbilisi. Georgian Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili said they “acted under the leadership from Yerevan” of a top GRU officer whom he identified as Anatoly Sinitsyn. Moscow angrily rejected the accusations, demanding an immediate release of its citizens. Reuters reported that Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov denounced as a "complete outrage" Georgia's action which he said had also included the beating of a Russian officer and six soldiers in a separate incident in the Black Sea port of Batumi.

Officials in Yerevan insisted that Armenia, Russia’s main regional ally, bears no responsibility for the acrimonious scandal. “We have nothing to do with that,” the Armenian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Vladimir Karapetian, told RFE/RL. Colonel-General Mikael, the Armenian chief of staff, echoed the statement, urging journalists not to “jump into conclusions.” He also dismissed as irrelevant the fact that four of the arrested Georgian nationals are reportedly ethnic Armenians.

“They are citizens of Georgia, and I think authorities in Georgia will clear things up,” said Harutiunian. “I think we will be able to say something concrete about this issue after finally understanding what the matter is. It is too premature to comment now.” Asked about the Georgian claims that the alleged Russian espionage was guided from Armenian territory, Harutiunian replied: “They can say anything. What they say is their business. But there has to be evidence.”

Other Armenian officials argued that Yerevan has no control over the happenings inside Russia’s diplomatic missions and military base in Armenia. None of the diplomats at Russian embassy in Yerevan that bears the name Anatoly Sinitsyn, an embassy spokeswoman told RFE/RL. Merabishvili would not say if Tbilisi will raise the issue with Yerevan, and the Georgian embassy in Armenia declined a comment. According to Karapetian, the Armenian government has received no diplomatic notes or other messages from the Georgian side in connection with the affair.

Link: http://www.armenialiberty.org/armeni...3005DE4FC7.ASP

Russia warns Georgia over arrests

TBILISI, Georgia — Russia recalled its ambassador to Georgia on Thursday and warned that it would use "all means available to us" to secure the release of Russian military-intelligence officers arrested here Wednesday on charges of espionage. In New York, Russian diplomats called for emergency consultations by the U.N. Security Council. Georgian police continued to surround Russian military headquarters in central Tbilisi, the Georgian capital, demanding that the Russians turn over another officer who they say is also implicated in spying and is in hiding in the complex. Russia has maintained a military presence in Georgia, its southern neighbor, since the fall of the Soviet Union, although all its troops are scheduled to be withdrawn by 2008.

Relations between the two countries have been marked by mutual loathing since President Mikheil Saakashvili came to power here in January 2004 and declared his intention to take Georgia, a former Soviet republic, out of Russia's orbit and into the NATO alliance. Georgia also accuses Russia of supporting two breakaway regions that are inside the country's internationally recognized borders but have been effectively independent since short wars in the early 1990s.

On Wednesday, Georgian officials announced that they had arrested four Russian officers, three lieutenant colonels and a major, accusing them of attempting to gather classified information on Georgia's cooperation with NATO and on some of its military deployments. The Interior Ministry here said Thursday that it had detained another two Russian servicemen on suspicion of espionage.

"The charges that have been brought against them are moronic and absolutely far-fetched," said Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov, visibly angry as he spoke on Russian television Thursday.

Russia's foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov said his government would achieve the men's release "with all the means available to us," according to RIA Novosti news agency. The Interfax agency said he called the arrests "the latest example of an anti-Russian policy."

Georgian officials continued to insist that they had audio and video evidence of the Russians' involvement in espionage. Georgian officials also said they had arrested 12 Georgian citizens who were recruited by the Russians. Georgia's interior minister, Vano Merabishvili, said, "The files reliably show officers of Russia's Main Intelligence Directorate personally conducting intelligence activities, personally recruiting Georgian nationals, and carrying out unlawful activities."

Merabishvili said the spy ring was led by a Russian who was involved in a car bombing that killed three police officers in the provincial town of Gori in February last year. Russian defense officials said the arrested officers had not been posted to the region until the summer.

Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi...&date=20060929

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:16 am

Armenia in Russia's Embrace

By Kim Iskyan, The Moscow Times

Armenia is one of a small and dwindling number of former Soviet republics that assuages, rather than aggravates, Russia's hurt ego in what used to be its geopolitical backyard. While the special relationship between Russia and Armenia is hardly new, its increasing intensity holds important implications for the smaller country's future, as well as for the balance of power in the Caucasus and throughout what remains of Russia's old sphere of influence.

Goodwill between Armenia and Russia has deep historical roots and is sustained by Russia's recent role as Armenia's protector. Russia is the ace up Armenia's sleeve against feared aggression by Turkey, Armenia's historical enemy, and as a deterrent to a renewal of the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the disputed enclave of Nagorny Karabakh (during which Russia supplied critical military assistance to Armenia). As a consequence of the war, both Turkey and Azerbaijan blockade their borders with Armenia.

Armenia plays eager host to a few Russian bases and a few thousand Russian troops, who patrol Armenia's borders with Turkey and Iran. During the Georgian political crisis in November 2003, the Russian and Armenian defense ministers signed agreements deepening their military cooperation, and, a few days later, then Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov called Armenia "Russia's only ally in the south."

Indeed, Georgia appears increasingly determined to remove itself from the Russian orbit, particularly after the recent crisis in Adzharia. And Russian relations with Azerbaijan, never particularly warm, remain dominated by oil concerns. Armenia is one of the relatively few former Soviet republics where Russian troops are welcomed and where they don't have to rub shoulders with the U.S. military, such as in Georgia or Kyrgyzstan. On another front, Russia has staged what appears to be a benign takeover of a number of Armenia's economic arteries.

Virtually the entire Armenian energy sector is under Russian control, following the transfer last year of the management of Armenia's critical nuclear power plant, and six hydroelectric plants, to UES as part of a broad equity-for-debt deal. Armenia receives its natural gas from Russia via Armrusgazprom, which is 45 percent owned by Gazprom. Rostelecom is a possible buyer of Armenia's telephone monopoly. Russian financial institutions, often under ethnic Armenian management, are slowly moving into Armenia's banking and insurance sectors. And with Russia one of Armenia's largest trade partners, the health of the Armenian economy is closely linked to that of Russia's, as the slowdown following the 1998 financial crisis demonstrated.

Russia is the gray cardinal of the Armenian political scene, in contrast to the meager influence it exerts on domestic politics in most other CIS countries, with the exception of Georgia, Moldova and Belarus. Prior to Armenia's February 2003 presidential election, President Robert Kocharyan made a pilgrimage to Moscow to receive the blessing of President Vladimir Putin; some analysts viewed the transfer of Armenia's energy assets to Russia as a quid pro quo for Putin's continued support.

Indeed, the Armenian government is highly vulnerable to any disruption -- inadvertent or otherwise -- of the flow of energy resources from Russia, and works hard to stay in the good graces of the Kremlin. The close links between powerful members of the Armenian diaspora in Russia and Putin spurred rumors recently that Putin, now freed from the distraction of getting re-elected, might become more involved in Armenia's domestic political scene to solidify Russia's position in Armenia. In the meantime, Kocharyan seems to be taking a page out of Putin's handbook on authoritarianism, tightening the state's grip on the media, stifling dissent and otherwise trying to limit the scope for the evolution of a credible opposition.

Armenia's official foreign policy is to foster amicable relations without picking favorites -- a rational policy for a small, isolated nation flanked by unfriendly neighbors in an unstable region. Armenia leverages the political clout of the Armenian diaspora in the United States and, to a lesser degree, the European Union, to win governmental aid and assistance. It also hedges its military bets by participating in NATO Partnership for Peace exercises and lending quiet support to the American war on terror.

U.S. and EU concerns in the region are focused on the politics of oil and pipelines in Azerbaijan and the Caspian area more generally -- with changes in Georgia now also jockeying for the limited attention that the West allots to the Caucasus. Meanwhile, efforts to deepen relations with southern neighbor Iran (such as through the construction of a natural gas pipeline) receive frosty glares from the West and a mixed reception from Russia.

Russia is home to roughly 1.8 million Armenians -- compared with the official, and inflated, figure of 3.2 million inhabitants of Armenia proper -- who send home remittances of roughly $110 million every year (equivalent to 4 percent of GDP), according to the Armenian Foreign Ministry. Not surprisingly, there is no stigma attached to speaking Russian in Armenia, unlike elsewhere in the former Soviet bloc. Armenian dependence on Russia is steadily deepening, binding Armenia's future -- for better or for worse -- all the more tightly to Russia. And as Russian influence in the CIS continues to erode, its role in Armenia serves as a pleasant, if Lilliputian, reminder of what it once had.

News Source: http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/47-885.aspx

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:20 am

Russian-Armenian days will be held in Krasnoyarsk every year

Russian-Armenian days may be held in Krasnoyarsk every year, as Sarkis Muradyan, director of International Exhibition Business Center "Siberia", stated. 'Russia and Armenia have always had warm relations, and we hope that goods of high quality only made in Armenia will be sold in Krasnoyarsk thanks to such exhibitions in Krasnoyarsk Territory. We plan to hold Russian-Armenian exhibitions at least once a year,' he said. It is worth reminding that Armenian businessmen are going to have meetings with the regional businessmen, participate in a panel discussion with members of Central Siberian Commerce and Industrial Chamber, The Union of Industrialists and Businessmen of Krasnoyarsk Territory and the Union of Commodity Manufacturers and Consumers. Apart from that, Krasnoyarsk audience will enjoy a cultural program prepared by the guests from Armenia. Famous Armenian singers and musicians will give two concerts, one in IEBS Siberia, the second one – in the Big Concert Hall of the philharmonic society.

ImageImage

"Days of Armenia in Siberia" opened in Krasnoyarsk in International Exhibition Business Center "Siberia" today. Vyacheslav Rychkov, a deputy-mayor, the head of the department of food policy, commerce and services, Valery Sergienko, a State Duma deputy, Sarkis Muradyan, the chairman of the Board of Directors of CJSC Sibagropromstroy, participated in the exhibition opening. Armenian delegation was headed by Arsen Grigoryan, the governor of Gegarkunik Region of the Republic of Armenia. On behalf of Armenian government Arsen Grigoryan thanked the exhibition organizers and residents of Krasnoyarsk Territory for an opportunity of holding the presentation. 'Krasnoyarsk Territory governor Alexander Khloponin expressed his confidence in his letter to Armenian President Robert Kocharyan that the exhibition would help to enlarge commercial and economic cooperation between Krasnoyarsk Territory and the Republic of Armenia. Our countries take special places in the world society, and fact prove that Armenia and Russia are interested in cooperation: trade turnover between Armenia and Russia constituted $107 million in 2000, and it increased up to $353 million by the end of 2005,' Grigoryan said.

ImageImage

After the opening visitors were able to see an exhibition of Armenian food and industrial goods. The expositions showed decorative goods, national souvenirs made of stone and ceramics, shoes, textile, equipment, a wide range of beverages, including alcohol. It is worth reminding that Armenian businessmen are going to have meetings with the regional businessmen, participate in a panel discussion with members of Central Siberian Commerce and Industrial Chamber, The Union of Industrialists and Businessmen of Krasnoyarsk Territory and the Union of Commodity Manufacturers and Consumers. Apart from that, Krasnoyarsk audience will enjoy a cultural program prepared by the guests from Armenia. Famous Armenian singers and musicians will give two concerts, one in IEBS Siberia, the second one – in the Big Concert Hall of the philharmonic society.

News Source: http://english.newslab.ru/news/203155

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:21 am

Peking-Tehran-Yerevan-Moscow "quartet"

The total cost of Iran's military agreement including 2000-2005 is $7 billion. One of the items of these agreements, article 8 consists of Moscow's nuclear assistance to Tehran. (for religous purposes). Moscow renders this assistance easily through the third territory. According to our investigations, this territory is Karabakh, its border areas with Iran. The Armenians called the occupied Azerbaijan, territories a transit zone or base for Russians. In this zone Armenians in Karabakh have fulfilled easily the tasks of the Russians.

We can't understand for what purposes Armenia has allocated 280 tons of preparations paralysing nerve system, viruses prohibited and not ending … also computers controlling missiles.

According to our investigations, Peking has given to Tehran a protection system from most modern missiles. This system "Cey-UAY-14" was constructed for Armenia's FG in July (2001). This protection system (in Turkey direction) was constructed by Tehran specialists themselves (?).

The USA diplomat Lenn Devis reminds: "…It's a danger. We must feel the danger covering oil companies in the Caspian region and separate diplomatic corps"… According to our investigations, China's relations with Armenia extended after "Taiwan affair" and this stage was called a new stage.

Russian Federation, CPR and Iran's role in changing Armenia's military potential is a strategical step. And Yerevan's military assistance to Beirut "patriots" (against Israel) is interesting. Thus it became clear that Yerevan is not only a good base for nuclear technology carried from the Russian Federation to Iran, and also main bridge of ammunition assistance rendered from Tehran to Beirut.

Armenia regarding China defended "United and Great China" principle, called Taiwvan being a part of it "historical right".

According to our investigations, in the former times, i.e. in 1990-94 there were a lot of men of Armenian nationality in microbiology, physics, semi-conductor,Quantum physics and oil-chemical processes centres, scientific-research laboratories of Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan. For instance, Robert Aslanovich (?) Ovanesyan occupied with electrophysics and electrophysical problems of energy in the Institute of Physics carried out scientific researches in Dubna nuclear centre till 1996, in Bushir APS since 1997. I'd like to direct qour attention to another fact. In 1992 Babayan Sarvar (probably) Server Bagramovich, the collaborator of Mathematics and Mechanics Institute solemnly defended a thesis (in technology) field … went to Yerevan after he got academic degree and now carries out his researches on nuclear technology there. While at that time those whose scientific work or defense of thesis were unfinished or who were prevented to carry out scientific researches left or were removed from Oil Chemical Processes Institute, Physiology Institute, Molecular and Biology Institute, Cybernetics Institute … on various pretexts. Generally 28 specialists (directly occupied with nuclear technology), who were occupied with Quantum physics, mathematics and mechanics, cybernetics … i.e. directly nuclear researches, gained scientific achievements in this field left Azerbaijan. Unfortunately, according to the information, 2 of them work with doctor S.Ter-Avestesyan's group in "Ashtarak-2" (Institute of Physical Researches) (?).

On June 4, 1999 at the meeting of the heads of Yerevan and Tehran security forces (this meeting is shortly called "Khudaferin meeting") Iran's "ETTELAAT" leaders (a special service organ) demanded from their colleagues the list of those of Armenian nationality working in former times in Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan, its institutes (especially, in physics, chemistry, math field). They discussed there Azerbaijan's project bureaus occupied with nuclear physics, cybernetics, special mathematical calculations, the last achievements of "Crystal" metal bureau on corrosion, researches on Genetics and selection, scientific work on chemistry and microbiology. At the result they decided that Yerevan Security Service would work out "special program" in order to extend the relations in this field by the half of 2002.

36 men of Armenian nationality work in Iran special service organs (only in Ardabil, Tabriz, Astara, Parsabag) (2 of them work in military-counter intelligence agencies, 9 in "Ettelaat", 8 in military intelligence, 8 in "confidential information and news bureaus" of Islamic propaganda centres).

Iran began to carry out scientific researches on a new nuclear engine "The World". (After Ayatulla Khamineyi's address to security forces) on June 16, 2001. It was planned to carry out these researches on this engine about 45 km away from the capital (northern direction) in SRC in Karaj territory. Scientists carrying out scientific nuclear researches on nuclear prospecting in Byelorussia were invited. At the result an agreement of 48 million cost was signed between Minsk - Tehran in this direction (August II, 2001) Also it was determined that a new nuclear engine would work with uranium- 235. This project was investigated for military purposes and its power was 40 Mg Vt. It was possible to get or produce plutonium by scientific - research laboratory during test period of this engine, i.e. in its working hours.

On August 19 of that year the members of "Special Researches group" formed on Sep. 28, 2000 in Armenia's AF submitted their plans, exactly "military-strategical programs" for discussion in security council.

The program suggested that Yerevan (according to our investigations) (the first nuclear weapon will be applied against Israel in Near East zone. Tel-Aviv would be aware that this attack will be carried on by Palestine Arabian groupings, "Jerusalem's power" radical proislamists. Besides this Tehran would better to review its "strategical, national security concept" for Tel-Aviv remaining as capital at least. Because on March 4, 2001 "International United Islamic Security System" against Israel was worked out) had to sign new agreements on scientific researches in military and also military-industrial field with Moscow, China, Tehran, Northern Korea, Lebanon, Syria, Irak, Brazil (?).

If it is possible Yerevan will do a lot supported by these regions that have nuclear potential and war arsenal, comprehensive terror schools. This is its result that today there're shippers "Barret M81-A1" and "Barret M 82 A1" with nuclear warhead and calibre of 50 mm, mines against tanks with chemical - toxic components (these mines were tested in Khojali), and round bullets with the compound of bacteriological weapons" … artillery shells with nuclear warheads in Armenia's AF. Moreover, Construction of a new oil refining plant in Yerevan is put forward since August, 2002 (?).

According to the information we got, already 60 men known with their nuclear researches scientific researches in atom bomb field were "recruited" with high salary from Kazakhystan, Azerbaijan, Russian Federation, Byelorussia, Ukraine, Armenia…by India, Pakistan, Irak, Iran and Brazil, Northern Korea, China.

On February, 2000 an agreement was signed among Armenia's "Razdanmash" Iran's "scientific-technical researches Centre" and Switzerland's "Alshneks-Asada" in Guge city dealing in technological equipments and here. Tehran signed an agreement of $210 million cost with Yerevan, Switzerland - an agreement of $347 million with Tehran. It means "serious and dangerous" weapons, nuclear materials. It includes "electromagnet" installations and mechanisms in splitting isotopes.

It realizes its plan on construction of "electromagnet separators" in Ahvaz and Isphahan with assistance of Russian Federation and Byelorussia. At the result program "Nuclear program and strategic researches of Iran Islamic Republic for 2001-2005" was worked out in Iran. In Armenia this program is called so: "Special projects in nuclear researches field" (for 2002-2005)…

News Source: http://www.karabakh-terror.info/wmview.php?ArtID=122

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Postby Armenian on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:22 am

The Struggle for Caucasia

WE CONDEMN IN THE STRONGEST POSSIBLE TERMS the horrible acts perpetuated against the children of Beslan by the Chechen terrorists, who have been shamelessly supported by Turkey, the United States, Saudi Arabia, and the Western press, especially Le Soir [here in Brussels]. The blood of Beslan's children, their teachers, their parents, the soldiers and paramedics who tried to rescue them -- their blood has been spilt and Western journalists, like those of Le Soir, must bear responsibility for it because they have provided the terrorists the media support, without which they would never have committed their abominable deed. These [hired pens, who incessantly attack Russia for resisting the Islamic insurgence in Chechnya,] have at last revealed their true colors, for all their fine words and moralistic posturing [on behalf of the Chechens] turns out to be nothing but a smoke screen for sadistic assassins.

With no less force, we denounce the cowardice of the present Georgian government, which continues to repress the Ossetians [within its borders] and which is allowing the United States to build a military base in the South Caucasus -- a base which will contribute to Russia's encirclement and lend support to Turkish territorial claims in the region. Ankara, though, has no historical right to these Caucasian lands, which formerly belonged to the [White Christian] peoples of Armenia and Byzantium, just as they have no right to the Balkans, the northern shore of the Black Sea, or the Hellenic Aegean, which they also covet.

The unspeakable crimes committed by the Chechen vermin in Beslan, we believe, was part of a Turko-American plan [to secure control of the Caucases] by striking at one of Russia's most loyal supporters, the indomitable Ossetians, descendents of the ancient Scythians. The installation of American troops and Turkish military personnel in Georgia is obviously linked to the terrorist activities in Ossetia, in Ingushetia, and in Chechnya. [Virtually unreported by the Western press, the terrorists at Beslan were outfitted in Western military gear]. Like the British before them, the Americans hope to push the Russians out of Caucasia [so as to tighten their anaconda grip on Russia's southern flank].

Synergies Européenes declares its solidarity with the Indo-European peoples of Caucasia, specifically the Ossetians and Armenians. We do so in the hope that Russia's presence in the region will be strengthened, that the ominous American installation in Georgia will be contained, and that a bloc against a Turkish or Iraqi Kurdistan will be formed, so that access to Mesopotamia, whose economic and geopolitical significance is of the utmost importance, will not be lost. For since the American occupation, France, Germany, Russia, and Belgium have been excluded from Iraq. We cannot afford to lose access to this strategically crucial region. It does not seem coincidental that the terrible tragedy in Beslan took place immediately following joint Russian-Armenian military maneuvers in the Armavir region along the Turkish border. These maneuvers were observed by the Greek military command, which ought to be congratulated, for, although a member of NATO, Greece has not hesitated to demonstrate its solidarity with the embattled Armenians.

The Armenian Defense Minister Serge Sarkisian has also announced that these maneuvers will be even more extensive next year. Armenia's army is presently expanding, having had its budget recently augmented by 10 per cent. Its active forces now number about 60,000, with a reserve of 320,00 (out of a population of 3.2 million!) and a "reserve of the reserve" of 350,000 -- for Armenia [which is one of the oldest Indo-European nations] is prepared to mobilize every able-bodied man between the ages of 15 and 59 [if ever its genocidal Islamic neighbors, who have a long history of murdering White Christian peoples, should threaten it]. In addition to these forces there are 20,000 soldiers defending Nagorno-Karabagh [an Armenian enclave in what was formerly Azerbaijani territory], along with 60,000 reservists prepared to take up arms if the Azeris, allies of the Americans and Turks, should attempt to retake these Armenian land. Fortunately, the Armenian Army is [one of the most competent and powerful in the region], equipped with the most advanced missiles and planes. Russia also maintains 30 Mig-29 fighters in Karabagh and several batteries of S-300 missiles, capable of reaching Ankara or Baghdad. The Armenians also stand out as being one of the few White peoples to have maintained their ancient warrior heritage. Long ago, our Crusaders came to appreciate their military prowess, as they joined them in repulsing the Seljuk Turks from the "Holy Lands."

[Having always been surrounded by powerful and murderous enemies], the fiercely-nationalist Armenians have had to learn to fight the superior forces arrayed against them. Encircled by Turkic and Muslim peoples [who now occupy lands formerly belonging to the White Christian peoples of Byzantium], the Armenians are not likely to retreat before these forces, willing, as they are, to transform their mountainous land into an eagle's nest, if need be. In fact, it was just this determination, combined with the close solidarity between Armenians, Russians, and Ossetians, that forced their Islamic-Turko-Chechen enemies to carry out a murderous attack on their children, [as if by breaking the hearts of these Caucasian peoples that they would be able to conquer them].

In the clearest and most unambiguous terms, the Armenian president Robert Kotcharian has declared his total solidarity with Russia and Ossetia -- a declaration which we Europeans support without reservation. At the same time, Serge Sarkisian announced on 5 September that Armenia remains committed to defending Karabagh, [now liberated from the Muslim yoke], as well as the land corridor linking it to Armenia [won in the 1992-1993 war with Azerbaijan]. American and Turkish support for Azerbaijan in this dispute has failed to weaken the Armenian resolve, which shows that a people's determined commitment to their heritage can make them almost invincible. Indeed, it was for just this reason that the American-Saudi-Azeri-Chechen forces resorted to terror [on 3 September] to break the Russian-Ossetian Armenian alliance -- somewhat like the way the US Air Force firebombed the schools and civilians of Hamburg 60 years ago to force the Germans to capitulate. Armenia, though, has a much different geography than the North German plains or the Mesopotamian river valley. It will not be invaded [without the most horrendous of struggles].

The children massacred at Beslan's Middle School One were Ossetians, an Indo-European people speaking a language related to ancient Persian. The 300,000 Ossetians of today are the descendants of those Indo-European horsemen known as the Scythians, the Sarmatians, or Alans, who frequently appear in ancient Roman sources. These people [who once occupied the south Russian plains] were driven by Turko-Mongolian hordes [in the period of the late Roman empire] into the mountain regions of the Caucasus, now known as North Ossetia. One branch of these Scythians was, however, swept up into the wanderings of the Germanic peoples of the period. As a consequence, Scythians were scattered throughout Western Europe, the Rhineland, and the British Isles (where they had a part in fostering the Arthurian legend). Others followed the Vandals into Spain and North Africa.

Of the Scythians who took refuge in the Caucasus, many of their descendents made up the most important military forces of the Byzantine Greeks. In 1767, [after centuries living under the oppressive heel of the Ottoman Turks, who conquered Byzantium and Caucasia in the 11th and 12th centuries] these people were finally liberated by the Russians. Their language was given its literary form by the great poet Kosta Xetagurov (1859-1906) and the French academician George Dumézil was the first major scholar to examine their epic literature. (See Georges Dumézil, Romans de Scythie et d'alentour [Paris: Payot, 1978]) Much of Dumézil's scholarly work [perhaps the most important ever to have been produced on "Indo-European civilization"] begins, in fact, with the Ossetians, for they retained some of the most primordial Indo-European characteristics. Not coincidentally, their folklore possesses an astonishing beauty and charm.

It was, then, against the children, the rising generation, of this small, ancient, and very proud people that the Chechen vermin, with the complicity of the Turks, the Americans, Islamists, and journalists like those of Le Soir, carried out their genocidal attack, for no other term than "genocide" does justice to the character of this sort of barbarism -- and indeed follows the logic of the Turks' earlier attempt to exterminate the Armenian people [in the period 1915-1922, when close to two million Armenians were shot, butchered, or starved]. We call on all European peoples, from Dublin to Vladivostock, to condemn this assault on the existence of the Indo-European peoples of the Caucasus. Against the murderous enterprise of these Islamic forces supported by the globalists, it is necessary to affirm that Caucasia is Indo-European. All non-Indo-European populations and religious confessions have no legitimacy there. This does not mean that we deny the right of other religions or peoples to exist in this region. But with the utmost clarity we proclaim that they have absolutely no authority to dictate the politics or the way of life of those established by the Ossetians, Armenians, Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders, and the Russian Tsars.

The region's geopolitical axis has historically extended from the [White] North to the [non-White South] -- not from the South to the North or the East to the West. This axis, moreover, is vital to the very existence of European peoples. Those among us who say otherwise are either traitors or fools. For the triumph of Turkish-American geopolitics in the Caucasus will have the effect of driving the Russians northward into their tundra region and Europeans to the westernmost reaches of their peninsula. Any European defending such a geopolitics condemns his people to a slow death. Our history calls on us to continue this struggle for Caucasia -- which implies our unconditional support for Vladimir Putin, the courageous, martyred Ossetians, and the Armenia of President Kotcharian. Against the traitorous lowlifes who would weaken our support with false scruples and hairsplitting sophistries, we declare that the struggle between Euro-Russia and Islam is one without the slightest nuance. For it is a struggle for our survival and one that must be followed by an aggressive counter-attack -- a counter attack which will force the Americans out of Eurasia, curb Turkish ambitions, satisfy Greek, Armenian, Ossetian, and Kurdish grievances against the Turks, liberate Cyprus, contain Morocco below Gibraltar, chase the Pakistanis from Kashmir, and liberate the Philippines of the Moro terrorists.

Source: http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=3788

Գարեգին Նժդեհ
Armenian

Next

Return to Aryan World